Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Puppet Martin: ON ACTING by Jennifer Roehm

The buzz is building around the Chicago theatre scene’s newest breakout star – the Shadow Puppet version of Martin Crown, leading man of The Ruckus Theater’s current production, LITTLE TRIGGERS. I sat down with Puppet Martin to find out what it is that makes him tick.

JR: Hi Puppet Martin! Thanks for being here today. I’m a huge fan.

PM: It’s no problem. I’m always here. They store me in the plastic bin in the corner.

JR: That’s so great. So what are your major inspirations?

PM: Gosh, where do I even begin? Cereal boxes, definitely. Thin sheets of cardboard in general… Oh, and those boxes that frozen pizzas come in? I guess you could say they’ve all made me who I am today.

JR: Wow, awesome. Let’s talk about your epic battle scene in the first act. It looks so intense! How did you prepare?

PM: I guess you could say I was born to do it. I mean, it’s the only thing I really know how to do. Look, my hand is permanently attached to this sharpened letter-opener.

JR: I see that!

PM: Thanks. It makes dating awkward, though. The last girl I went out with, she tried to hold my hand and got stabbed.

JR: Oh Gosh! Is she alright?

PM: Yeah, she’s fine. We’re still Facebook friends.

JR: Okay. So, um… what’s next for you?

PM: Oh, I’ll probably just take it easy and slowly disintegrate in storage somewhere.

JR: You heard it here first, folks… Puppet Martin, coming to a storage facility near you in summer 2012! I can’t wait for that trailer. Well, that about wraps things up for us today. Thanks for taking the time to talk with me, Martin!

PM: Hey, it was my pleasure. …can you please put me down now?

No comments: